Beeac is a township approximately 20 km northeast of Colac, named after a tribal leader whose headquarters were in the nearby Warrion Hills. It was also was also the aboriginal name for salt water or salt lake, referring to the high salt levels in nearby Lake Beeac.
The town was surveyed in 1864 and by the end of 1860s a community was settling and the area was a significant wheat-growing area. A salt works was established to exploit the salt in the lakes and wine was also grown. From the turn of the twentieth century Beeac was a thriving business centre with numerous shops and trades, school, a Mechanic's Institute, a post office, a hospital and two hotels. The railway came to the town in 1884 connecting Beeac with Colac and Ballarat.
The impressive Roman Catholic church, now no longer in use and very visible on the right as you enter Beeac from Colac, was built in 1924. The first Methodist church, measuring 16 ft x 14 ft, was built in 1862 at a cost of £85. It later became a Sunday School. The stone church was built in 1878 at a cost of £700. The Presbyterian church was built in 1861-62. Prior to that services were conducted in private homes by Reverend Hugh Blaiir from Colac. Reverend William Agner was the first minister, serving until 1906. St Augustine's Anglican church was erected in 1898.